Subject: Re: 1.6 - we will not quit
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Toby Thain <toby@disegno.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/10/2002 13:48:53
Rick Kelly wrote:
> der Mouse said:
>

>>As long as there are people using it, someone willing to be portmaster,
>>etc, I daresay.  It still supports VAXen, and some of those are even
>>older.  Heck, it does not only sun3 but sun2!  If you want software
>>that EOLs support for hardware before there's no more such hardware
>>left, you know where to find it.
>

> I have a Sun 3/50 that was built in 1988 running:
>
> NetBSD slug 1.5ZC NetBSD 1.5ZC (SLUG) #0: Fri Mar 29 10:42:00 MST 2002     rmk@slug:/usr/src/sys/arch/sun3/compile/SLUG sun3
>

>>Plenty, to judge by the howls on the list about how slow they've gotten
>>with this cache change.  If nobody still used them, the _problem_
>>wouldn't've been noticed, even, much less the other problem caused by
>>the fix.
>

> Yup.

Big yup from me, who keeps SPARC, Sun3 *and* VAX.

> I think it is just a bug that needs to be overcome.

That's the spirit! Who's afraid of a little bug anyway!

I've always suspected that obsolescence was a handy distraction so that
the *cough* less diligent vendors could sweep their problems under the
carpet and avoid the effort of fixing them. By contrast, the proud UNIX
tradition does not encompass "oh, that box is way too old, let's just
not support it any more".

Toby