Subject: Re: pppd question
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Paul \(NCC/CS\) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/06/2002 10:17:23
Gidday Folks,

By "the Guide" I mean the NetBSD Guide by Fred Lupi
of course:))). There's only one main NetBSD guide. Have
a quick squiz at this and it'll point you straight to it:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/

And Hey Bob, of course I tried terminating the string
before posting. I tried different things for about 5 hours
before posting. No this post was not a "lame effort to
point out a mistake".

But guys this reply is not meant to flame:))))))
Just show a bit more faith to your fellow BSD'ers eh:)))))).

Actually I want to thank you thank you thank you!

You've pointed me in the right direction and I see what
is going on now. It's 100x clearer in the HTML version
as it has:

' ' ATDT0299999999
CONNECT ' '

Which means wait for ' ' nothing then send the ATDT**
Then wait for CONNECT then send ' '  nothing.

This is correct.
The trouble is that the POSTSCRIPT version of the guide
has :
" ATDT0299999999
CONNECT "
The postscript ( God I normally love it ) is hard to read
and it looks like one " quote. So the postscript version of
the guide ends up looking like one string. So in the chat
session it will wait to get a string back from the modem
saying:   " ATDT0299999999  CONNECT "  . Which of
course it never gets and times out.

In trying to follow the doco too closely it came a gutsa.

I'm surprised this isn't well known?
Something could be added to the guide to
clarify hear. Perhaps I'll cc Fred L. Thanks for
the Guide Fred it's otherwise great!

Anyway thanks genuinely for your help guys.
I'll see how it goes tonight. I might not be out of
the woods yet. This is all over my effective ISP
changing from ppp interactive login to the "other"
method, which I am assuming is PAP/CHAP.
I've go to get that going yet.

cheers,
Paul.

der Mouse wrote:

> > I put in /etc/ppp/bom.chat :
>
> > ABORT BUSY
> > ABORT "NO CARRIER"
> > ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
> > " ATDT########
> > CONNECT "
>
> > Aug  5 22:39:06 duey chat[477]: unterminated quote (line 4)
>
> > I'm not surprised in a way since it looks like a " is missing.
> > But why doesn't this work?
>
> Uhh...because a " is missing?
>
> > It must be meant to be this way, as it's in the guide?
>
> I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but guides do sometimes contain
> mistakes. :-/  What is "the guide" here?  A webpage?  A printed book?
> A README file that accompanied something?  I'd say you should report it
> to the source of the document - the webmaster for the page, the
> author/publisher of the book, the distributor of the "something",
> whatever is appropriate for the medium in question.
>
> > I can't get it to work.
> > Can anyone help me please?
>
> Well, what is it you want it to do?  "man chat" will likely help, as
> that describes, among other things, the format of chat files; it also
> gives some examples that look similar to yours, only with quoting done
> slightly differently:
>
>         '' ATDT5551212
>         TIMEOUT 120
>         CONNECT ''
>
> I suspect that using "" instead of '' would work equally well; in the
> one known-working chatfile I have easy access to at the moment, "" is
> used as an expect string.
>
> /~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML               mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
> / \ Email!           7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Paul       (pts@bom.gov.au)
National Climate Centre / Computing Section
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology