Subject: Re: multiple sbus frame buffers
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/30/2002 14:36:55
> cgsix0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x0 level 9: SUNW,501-2325, 1152 x 900, rev 11
> cgsix0: attached to /dev/fb

> cgthree0 at sbus0 slot 3 offset 0x0 level 9: , 1152 x 900
> cgthree0: replacing cgsix0
> cgthree0: attached to /dev/fb
>
> Is it possible to use multiple frame buffers on sparc? I guess
> I can pull cgthree out of the kernel to use the cgsix, but I'd
> rather be able to use both.

Not completely sure what you want to achieve here.  If you want to run an
X server on the cgsix, you can run Xsun with the '-dev' option, e.g.

	Xsun -dev /dev/cgsix0

as well as (or instead of) running the server on the default card (/dev/fb).
If you want the cgsix to be the console, you need to do a little juggling at
the PROM prompt (*).  See the Sun Frame Buffer FAQ for information :

	http://www.sunhelp.org/
	> F.A.Q.s
	> Sun Frame Buffer FAQ

but something like ;

	setenv outout-device /iommu/sbus/cgsix@0

or :

	nvalias cgsix /iommu/sbus/cgsix@0
	setenv outout-device cgsix

or :

	setenv sbus-probe-list 0123

should work.

If you want to change the resolution on the cgsix, you can add that to the
'nvalias' command.  (I found that the line was too long when I tried to set
both the resolution and the device on one go.)

(*)  Yes, I know that you can do that using `eeprom`.  But I think it's
easier to put multi-line commands in through the PROM prompt and you'll need
to reset the box anyway.

--
                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/