Subject: re: XFree86 Compiled on Sparc
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/24/2002 11:17:27

   ..to my suprise, XFree86 4.2.0 builds fine on sparc (USE_XF86_4=yes). At
   least the libs do, I compiled it with an alternate $DESTDIR and it built
   fine.  I dind't script(8) the session, so I din't catch any warnings, but it
   did NOT appear to build an X server binary ($DISTDIR/usr/X11R6/bin/X).

xf4 seems to build with "make -k" by default.  this means that if it
doesn't build properly (which it hasn't in your case :-), you won't
appear to get a build failure.  you should have script(8)ed it and
viewed the log :-)

   I'm going to try to build w/o $DESTDIR and see how some pkgsrc apps that
   require X react to the change.

there are changed major numbers.  i recommend either keeping the old
xf3 shlibs around, or, rebuildling everything against xf4.

   Does anyone know why the XFree86 4.2.0 xc/RELNOTE marks all the sun-related
   drivers as Sparc-Linux only.  Is there some linux-dependant code in them, or
   are we simply not important enough >:} ?

   ---
   |sunbw2 (+)    | Sun bw2
   |suncg14 (+)   | Sun cg14
   |suncg3 (+)    | Sun cg3
   |suncg6 (+)    | Sun GX and Turbo GX
   |sunffb (+)    | Sun Creator/3D, Elite 3D
   |sunleo (+)    | Sun Leo (ZX)
   |suntcx (+)    | Sun TCX
   Drivers marked with (+) are for Linux/Sparc only.
   ---

i believe these are DRI drivers, which we don't support.

.mrg.