Subject: Re: XFree86 Compiled on Sparc
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Jack Lloyd <lloyd@acm.jhu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/23/2002 23:14:47
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> That's odd.  I didn't know that there were tensions between the two groups
> (well, honestly, I dind't know that X.org was still releasing updates, I
> assumed it was dead.) The 4.2.0 RELNOTES mention a changelog:
>
>     2.3. X Server and Extension Updates
>
>     Resynced with X.Org's X11R6.6.

IIRC, the deal was that originally X11R6 (?) was going to be released under
a more closed license (I can't remember the exact details of such at the
moment). XFree86 essentially said 'buybye' and walked off.  Eventually the
X guys realized this was a bad scene all around and continued to release
under the old license.

The old-school X is still in fairly wide use, mostly in places with lots of
old systems. I used to work in a place packed with things like DEC MIPS
machines running Ultrix. X.org's X is still about the best thing to run on
systems like that.

-Jack