Subject: Re: XFree86 Compiled on Sparc
To: Kurt J. Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/23/2002 22:58:10
KJL> Enter the PC, with a huge variety of graphics adaptors to put all
KJL> the unix hardware vendors to shame.  So, the original X386 driver
KJL> begat Xthis and Xthat, typically each supporting a single vendor's
KJL> display adaptor/board.  This, clearly was insanity.  The XFree86
KJL> group, having broken with the X Consortium (and rightfully so)

That's odd.  I didn't know that there were tensions between the two groups
(well, honestly, I dind't know that X.org was still releasing updates, I
assumed it was dead.) The 4.2.0 RELNOTES mention a changelog:

    2.3. X Server and Extension Updates

    Resynced with X.Org's X11R6.6.

The 4.0.1 RELNOTES for NetBSD specific note:

    3.1. New OS dependent features in 4.2.0

    Support of client side on NetBSD/sparc64
    Support for in-kernel MTRR and AGP support in NetBSD 1.5Y

    3.4. New OS dependent features in 4.0.1

    Support for NetBSD 1.5_ALPHA
    The Xsun server can be built on NetBSD/sparc

KJL> after a licensing issue, came up with a saner way of doing things.

As for:

mg>
mg> there are changed major numbers.  i recommend either keeping the old
mg> xf3 shlibs around, or, rebuildling everything against xf4.
mg>

I tar'd up the old /usr/X11R6 for safe keeping.  Rebuilding everything was
the plan.

-lava