Subject: Re: I must be blind (WAS: Re: [help] how to spin down sca hdds in SS5)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bert Kiers <kiers@original.xs4all.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/16/2002 00:54:05
On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:39:45PM +0100, Andrew Grillet wrote:
> On Monday 15 July 2002 18:04, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 @ 1:01pm (-0400), Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> >
> > ...I must be blind, scsictl(8) has a start/stop command.  I just
> > tested it with the disks in my external pack.  It works.  Just be
> > sure to umount the file systems before hand.
> >
> Perhaps the ideal solution would be an option for the umount command ...
>

> # umount -spindown
>
> Perhaps this should be considered legal on an unmounted drive, so you
> can spin down an unmounted drive.
>
> Mount should always issue spin up, since there is little hope of
> mounting a drive that isn't spinning.

I am agianst this for two reasons:

1) mount(8) deals with file-systems, not hardware
2) better spin the disk down with scsictl(8) and let it spin up when necessary (as decided by the drive == when data needed from the drive)

Why should you not be able to spin down a mounted drive?

Grtnx,
--
Bert Kiers, PD2BFK
work: mailto:bert@itsx.com  http://www.itsx.com/