Subject: Re: [help] how to spin down sca hdds in SS5
To: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/15/2002 14:11:25
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, henry nelson wrote:

> BIG PROBLEM.  The disks are going to burn up if I can't figure out a way
> to spin them down and keep them that way except for brief actual use periods.
> I used it once for about an hour, and you could poach eggs on those hdds!

You do have a fan or two on those HDDs, right? If not, you should get one.

I assume that a fan is a fairly standard configuration for at least
some 5s and 20s (probably newer ones with faster drives?) because
most of the ones at a back where I worked had one. It's a three or
four centimeter fan that had a clip on the side, to clip to the
metal barrier between the motherboard and disk drive areas.

In my systems I actually put in a second, similar fan, and just
used duct tape to keep it in place.

Note that the sparcs seem to be able to deal with a fair amount of
heat.  My SS20 is pretty well loaded (dual 75 MHz CPUs, 3 expansion
cards, 512 MB RAM, CD, floppy, and two 7200 RPM drives) and, though
the air coming out of it is awfully warm, it's been running 24x7
for a couple of months now without problems, and has done this for
months at a time in the past, too. (Still, I'm happy to accept any
advice on making the thing cooler.)

cjs