Subject: my problems with the 20020627-1.6B install
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Dr. John Refling <refling@comet.lbl.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/08/2002 00:15:52
I have a sparc 10 which has been running 1.5.2 fine and I thought I'd test
out the new dist.  It has a 2 gig drive, scsi ID 0, 128 MB ram, ROM 2.12,
probe-scsi gives target 0 unit 0 on the drive, so I use "boot disk3" which
by the dealias goes to sd@0,0.  All is fine with 1.5.2.

When I do a net install, after the "boot net netbsd" but before the sysinst
main menu, I see something like "mount_kernfs not found" zip past the screen.
Probably no big deal, but...

I use a custom partition, 1590 MB on / and 99 MB for swap.  Things proceed
until a "segmentation fault" during pax on etc.tgz, OR things may proceed
normally (all sets unpacked OK), but at the very end it says "failed basic
sanity check".  (BTW I'm using a serial console and the x*.tgz stuff is from
the 1.5.2 dist.)

Then if I halt the system using "boot disk3" it gets past the bootstrap then
says it can't find netbsd, trying netbsd.gz, vmunix, etc.. etc...

In the case of the segmentation fault, there is a sysinst.core file left in
/mnt.

I have a tiny script which does the newfs, binstall, and unpax everything
for 1.5.2 (to create a working system in batchmode) and when I use that on
the 1.6 dist files, I can get a bootable working system.

Anyway, I can't get the 1.6 sysinst to create a working system on this machione.

Any ideas ???