Subject: Re: Sparc II Thin-Client Question
To: Sparc List @ NetBSD.org <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/06/2002 14:12:07
On 06.07.02, 07:25:48, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> I`m thinking of trying to set up my Sparc II (running NetBSD-1.5.2) as a
> thin-client to run X apps off a faster i386 machine (also running
> NetBSD-1.5.2). Is this something that can reasonably be done ? Do I need

I have done this a number of times on various machines. The "thin
client" is usally referred to as an "X-Terminal" then.

I have init start the Xserver with a line like

  console        "/usr/X11R6/bin/X -query boa"   unknown on secure

in /etc/ttys, where "boa" is the main i386 Workstation/Server in my
LAN. Be sure to disable any "getty"s on the console, or they will
conflict with the Xserver. Also either disable xdm or tell it not to
manage any screens directly (comment out the line in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers).

You must also somehow make sure that console messages do not destroy
the X screen, either run xconsole on the sun (if possible) or
adjust syslog.conf to output no messages to the console. I use
  *.none       /dev/console

Alternatively, if you have several machines running xdm (or some
variant like kdm or gdm), you could use "-indirect" instead of
"-query", which will give you a host chooser instead of the
login widget.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD - the power to swerve (penguins, worse than cane toads).
		-- Julian Assange