Subject: __curses.out files in 1.5.3
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/04/2002 18:16:56
I just did a clean install of 1.5.3, sort of testing it before the
release.  Apparently, everything that's linked against curses goes into
some kind of debugging mode, where it writes a file called __curses.out.
  This file appears to contain a log of the characters that curses wrote
to the screen.  Needless to say, this considerably slows down vi,
systat, etc.

I didn't notice this behavior in my brief tests of 1.5.3 on hpcmips, but
I might have just missed it.

I don't have anything strange in my environment.  This being a
completely fresh install, there are no funny .exrc files lying about.
My term is set to vt100.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here?

Incidentally, the same thing seems to crash the installer when it runs
-- I had to do a manual install, because the instfs kept filling up when
I'd run either sysinst or vi.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large