Subject: 1.5.3 -> 1.6 upgrade problems
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/28/2002 21:38:09
I'm running 1.5.3_RC1 right now, and wanted to try using the CLISP
package.  That will not compile on NetBSD/sparc, and the maintainers
asked me to try using a newer compiler than egcs-1.1.2.  (Specifically
mentioned were 2.95.x, 3.0.x, and 3.1.)

Noticing that 1.6 has a newer compiler, and that I want an excuse
to upgrade anyway, I thought I'd give it a shot.  Checking out the
head of the netbsd-1-6 branch and running build.sh breaks when
building cksum.  Something about several functions named RMD160*
are missing so the link fails.

So I thought I'd grab the 1.5ZA snapshot and use that, but when I
told the prom "boot disk1 /stand/generic15za" it told me "Illegal
Instruction" after printing X+Y+26976.  (I didn't write down the
first two numbers, but if you want them, I can reboot easily enough.)

I assume I either have a bad kernel, or a bad boot loader.  Any
suggestions on upgrading without wiping out everything on my disk?

Jon