Subject: Re: ssh soo.......Slooooow
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/23/2002 14:46:50
On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 02:34:21PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	When changing the default it will be important to ensure we do
> 	not impair the binaries performance on other (non supersparc)
> 	sparc systems. +10% on a supersparc is probably worth -1% on a
> 	sun4c, but not -10% :)

actually, i wasn't recommending the changing of the default setup, i was
thinking more along the lines of a list of optimizations per platform.  in
my case at the very least, i don't mind rebuilding everything, since i usually
end up doing it anyway, so i just want to be able to pop the correct
optimization flags in where apropriate.

however, i do see the benefit of pre-built optimized systems for install and
forget setups.  so we should find the nice happy medium for the default install
and then maybe offer optimized builds.  which i would be more than happy to do
once i get things setup here.

> 	Possible (quite ambitious) suggestion:
> 	    - Build -current system with and without -mtune=supersparc,
> 	      including kernel & boot blocks.
> 	    - Compare disk usage (Not important, just interesting number :)
> 	    - Setup a script to perform some benchmarks - ssh -1, ssh -2,
> 	      maybe something interesting from pkgsrc/benchmarks.
> 	    - Compile static version of the test binaries and repeat test
> 	      to confirm they show the same behaviour as dynamic.
> 	    - Put up test binaries and benchmark script for people with
> 	      other sparc models to test and report.

if no-one else does this, i will start doing it after i get my two new mail
server boxes so i can retire my old mail server to the duty of performance
testing for port-sparc.

-brian
--
"I mean Twinkies are good but getting shot really hurts."
				-- http://www.thisisatastyburger.com/ --