Subject: Re: ssh soo.......Slooooow
To: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/2002 14:34:21
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> > 	You may want to use 'ssh -1', or alternately rebuild using
> > 	-mcpu=supersparc <plug> /pkgsrc/devel/cpuflags </plug>
> >
> > 	What happened to the suggestion of defaulting the sparc compiler
> > 	to -mtune=supersparc - did anyone run timings?
>
> Where you the one who asked about this?
>
> The thread just kind of died.
>
> I volunteer an idle SS5 to run tests.  Right now I don't what tests
> would be best, but I'll work on getting some benchmarks and run them
> for a few days.

	When changing the default it will be important to ensure we do
	not impair the binaries performance on other (non supersparc)
	sparc systems. +10% on a supersparc is probably worth -1% on a
	sun4c, but not -10% :)

	Possible (quite ambitious) suggestion:
	    - Build -current system with and without -mtune=supersparc,
	      including kernel & boot blocks.
	    - Compare disk usage (Not important, just interesting number :)
	    - Setup a script to perform some benchmarks - ssh -1, ssh -2,
	      maybe something interesting from pkgsrc/benchmarks.
	    - Compile static version of the test binaries and repeat test
	      to confirm they show the same behaviour as dynamic.
	    - Put up test binaries and benchmark script for people with
	      other sparc models to test and report.

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --