Subject: Re: ssh soo.......Slooooow
To: NetBSD SPARC list <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/19/2002 18:12:44
On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:16:41AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Young, Julian wrote:
>
> > I have a SPARCclassic 64Mb running 1.5.2 and the latest ( 1 week old)
> > pkgsrc build of openssh.   when I  logon I experience inordinately long
> > delays, around 2, 3 minuets,  before getting a prompt.   I get a similar
> > delay, possibly longer, when generating keys.
> >
> > is this my classic coming to the end of it's usefull life ( performance
> > expectd) , or does it sound like I have a config fault ?  Is ther anythign i
> > can do to speed things up ( pre generate etc )?
>
> 	You may want to use 'ssh -1', or alternately rebuild using
> 	-mcpu=supersparc <plug> /pkgsrc/devel/cpuflags </plug>
>
> 	What happened to the suggestion of defaulting the sparc compiler
> 	to -mtune=supersparc - did anyone run timings?

Where you the one who asked about this?

The thread just kind of died.

I volunteer an idle SS5 to run tests.  Right now I don't what tests
would be best, but I'll work on getting some benchmarks and run them
for a few days.

I can't remember now who wanted to update the FAQ for this.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com