Subject: Re: New life for Sun Ray 1s
To: Don Yuniskis" , "PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@netbsd.org>
From: Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/19/2002 15:12:05
At 2:21 PM -0500 6/19/02, Don Yuniskis wrote:
>"Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler" <nicoya@apia.dhs.org> wrote:
[...]
>> Maybe someone could make a boot flash that doesnt send out subtly invalid
>> DHCP packets. ;)
>
>Well, if we can figure out how to get *something* into the device, then
>it could readily be changed.
>
>Let me back up a step... presumably, the reason you *can't* "force
>the issue" of reprogramming the Flash because the "OS" won't let you
>have access to the physical hardware?  E.g., does this thing *only* run
>Java code?

Uh, no, the krups runs linux just fine. (Well, it would if I patched my
DHCP server to accept the invalid packets... and got a bigger desk)

As for the Sun Rays, I was under the impression that they didn't run *any*
user code, except for signed flash updates.

Say, just out of curiosity, has anyone tried just *asking* sun for the DSA
keys? Sure, it's not as 'l33t' as hax0ring the hardware, but it might just
get the job done. ;)

Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler :)

--
Tony "Nicoya" Mantler - Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire - nicoya@apia.dhs.org