Subject: Re: New life for Sun Ray 1s
To: Don Yuniskis" , "PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@netbsd.org>
From: Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/19/2002 13:51:35
At 8:38 AM -0500 6/19/02, Don Yuniskis wrote:
>"Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru> wrote:
[...]
>> So while I don't have pictures of SunRay, I have pictures of Krups
>>
>> This is a shot of the board:
>> http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/javastation/photo/krups-inside.jpg
>
>OK.  The installed SIMM is RAM and room for one more?
>And to the left of this is the frame buffer RAM?

Two 168-pin ram slots (Not SDRam, unfortunatley), a flash-simm slot to the
right, and most likely, indeed, the gfx ram to the left.

>The connectors exposed to the rear of the unit are probably
>for audio in/out, mouse, keyboard, video, network and...
>maybe a serial port (or AUI?).  So, I doubt any of those
>can serve double-duty as an alternative means of accessing the
>Flash (for reprogramming)  :>  Is there still one more rear
>panel connector that I can't fathom?

From top to bottom:
Audio
Audio
Mouse
Keybaord
Serial
Ethernet
Power
GFX

>Though I've seen CPU's with the ability to download a small
>boot loader via a serial port built into the CPU hardware itself
>(i.e. *not* firmware)
>
>Is that a trim pot at the top left of the board?  Possibly to set maximum
>audio output level?

The blue/white object is the power switch.

>The large (40mm dia), circular object in the left quadrant is obviously
>the intergalactic teleporter -- a dead giveaway due to the red and
>black plasma conduits running into it from above -- with express
>service to the home planet Krupp-ton (though I hear their sun
>is set to explode soon so if you're planning a trip, book your
>reservations early!)

I hear Krupp-ton is quite nice this time of year.

[...]
>> * PCI Boot ROM, i.e. flashprom at ebus
>>
>> This is were Krups boots from.
>>
>> You can see an empty socket J1203 for an "overdrive" flashprom.  Below
>> it is the soldered flashprom U1200 - AM29F400AB-90SC.  The jumper
>> J1202 that selects betweed soldered one and the "overdrive" is above
>> the upper-left corner of the empty socket.  Factory setting is to
>> select the soldered one (U1200).
>
>So, you could also just burn a *new* Flash device and populate that
>socket!

Maybe someone could make a boot flash that doesnt send out subtly invalid
DHCP packets. ;)

[...]

Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler :)

--