Subject: Re: ssh soo.......Slooooow
To: Young, Julian <Julian.Young@nl.compuware.com>
From: Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc@linuxweasel.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/19/2002 08:58:34
On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 01:05, Young, Julian wrote:
> I have a SPARCclassic 64Mb running 1.5.2 and the latest ( 1 week old)
> pkgsrc build of openssh.   when I  logon I experience inordinately long
> delays, around 2, 3 minuets,  before getting a prompt.   I get a similar
> delay, possibly longer, when generating keys.
>
> is this my classic coming to the end of it's usefull life ( performance

Not as far as I'm concerned!  Classics are nice machines, plenty fast
for a lot of things yet.

> expectd) , or does it sound like I have a config fault ?  Is ther anythign i
> can do to speed things up ( pre generate etc )?

I've had similar problems.  The biggest thing you can do is get rid of
DSA keys, and make sure that you're using RSA for SSH2.  DSA keys can
take eons (a couple hours on my SS1) to generate, and using them isn't
any faster.  If it's blocking because there's not enough entropy, you
might need to find a way to increase it's entropy sources.  Those are
the easy things, there are probably some others, if I think/look a bit
more.
	Greg