Subject: Re: New life for Sun Ray 1s
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@netbsd.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/19/2002 06:38:12
"Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 09:17:17 -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:
> > > This is provided by flashprom at ebus.  E.g. in Krups the OFW is:
> > >   ebus0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0: Sun Microsystems PCIO Ebus2,
revision 0x01
> > >   flashprom at ebus0 bar 10 offset 0x0 not configured
> > > where EBus BAR 10 is f000.0000
> >
> > Grrrr.... sorry, my ignorance showing here... <:-(
> >
> > I don't know what the inside of the machine *looks* like
>
> Neither do I ;)

I guess that *qualifies* us as "repair technicians"!!  :>

> > So, I guess the "PCI flash" is "soldered down" when and
> > if it is present?  I.e. *not* intended as a "dedicated Flash
> > portion of the PCI address space which could be
> > used by an expansion card designed to exploit that
> > feature"?
> >
> > Is the "Memory Data Bus" Flash *also* "on board"?
> > I.e. are there *any* buses that come out to connectors
> > for "expansion"?
>
> So while I don't have pictures of SunRay, I have pictures of Krups
>
> This is a shot of the board:
> http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/javastation/photo/krups-inside.jpg

OK.  The installed SIMM is RAM and room for one more?
And to the left of this is the frame buffer RAM?

The connectors exposed to the rear of the unit are probably
for audio in/out, mouse, keyboard, video, network and...
maybe a serial port (or AUI?).  So, I doubt any of those
can serve double-duty as an alternative means of accessing the
Flash (for reprogramming)  :>  Is there still one more rear
panel connector that I can't fathom?

Though I've seen CPU's with the ability to download a small
boot loader via a serial port built into the CPU hardware itself
(i.e. *not* firmware)

Is that a trim pot at the top left of the board?  Possibly to set maximum
audio output level?

The large (40mm dia), circular object in the left quadrant is obviously
the intergalactic teleporter -- a dead giveaway due to the red and
black plasma conduits running into it from above -- with express
service to the home planet Krupp-ton (though I hear their sun
is set to explode soon so if you're planning a trip, book your
reservations early!)

> http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/javastation/photo/krups-inside2.jpg
>
> This is the board overview from Sun HandBook, "top" of the board is to
> the left:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_JavaStation_
JK.html

Ah, note "J0500" as JTAG support!  Now, the question is "What does the
device chain look like?"  (i.e. can you control the pins of the CPU via the
JTAG port?  If so, you can program the Flash through this interface
without the "blessings" of the CPU, signatures, etc.)

> * PCI Boot ROM, i.e. flashprom at ebus
>
> This is were Krups boots from.
>
> You can see an empty socket J1203 for an "overdrive" flashprom.  Below
> it is the soldered flashprom U1200 - AM29F400AB-90SC.  The jumper
> J1202 that selects betweed soldered one and the "overdrive" is above
> the upper-left corner of the empty socket.  Factory setting is to
> select the soldered one (U1200).

So, you could also just burn a *new* Flash device and populate that
socket!

> * Flash Memory ("Memory Data Bus Flash").
>
> At the right edge of the board you can see an empty SIMM slot (i took
> out the SIMM with JavaOS so that is doesn't get in the way, b/c OFW
> will try to boot OS from the flash simm first.  that can be toggled by
> holding a C-A-t chord at power up, but that's not an option for my
> headless unit).  The SIMM has eight Am29LV081B-120EC on it.
>
> So for the SunRay the questions are:
>
> . are ms-IIep BM_SEL[1:0] pins hardwired to boot off of the flash
>   memory (options 00 and 01) or this can be controlled via jumpers.

I would imagine something similar to *this* box.  Note that two of those
four options (8 bit vs. 32 bit Flash) are redundant to a certain degree.
Undoubtedly, the board was designed for *one* of those options.
I.e. it can possibly be reduced to a choice between *two* options
(one jumper, like above)

> . if the board can be jumpered to boot off of PCI, i.e. from flashprom
>   at ebus (options 10 and 11), is there an existing flashprom or a
>   socket for it.  if there's an existing (soldered) flashprom, what is
>   the code in it.

Or, if there is an empty Flash socket!  It seems that this would be the
easiest way to go...  just burn new (virgin) Flash devices, install
and jumper accordingly...