Subject: Re: New life for Sun Ray 1s
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/17/2002 20:53:49
On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 09:17:17 -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:
> > This is provided by flashprom at ebus.  E.g. in Krups the OFW is:
> >   ebus0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0: Sun Microsystems PCIO Ebus2, revision 0x01
> >   flashprom at ebus0 bar 10 offset 0x0 not configured
> > where EBus BAR 10 is f000.0000
>
> Grrrr.... sorry, my ignorance showing here... <:-(
>
> I don't know what the inside of the machine *looks* like

Neither do I ;)

> So, I guess the "PCI flash" is "soldered down" when and
> if it is present?  I.e. *not* intended as a "dedicated Flash
> portion of the PCI address space which could be
> used by an expansion card designed to exploit that
> feature"?
>
> Is the "Memory Data Bus" Flash *also* "on board"?
> I.e. are there *any* buses that come out to connectors
> for "expansion"?

So while I don't have pictures of SunRay, I have pictures of Krups

This is a shot of the board:
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/javastation/photo/krups-inside.jpg
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/javastation/photo/krups-inside2.jpg

This is the board overview from Sun HandBook, "top" of the board is to
the left:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_JavaStation_JK.html

* PCI Boot ROM, i.e. flashprom at ebus

This is were Krups boots from.

You can see an empty socket J1203 for an "overdrive" flashprom.  Below
it is the soldered flashprom U1200 - AM29F400AB-90SC.  The jumper
J1202 that selects betweed soldered one and the "overdrive" is above
the upper-left corner of the empty socket.  Factory setting is to
select the soldered one (U1200).

* Flash Memory ("Memory Data Bus Flash").

At the right edge of the board you can see an empty SIMM slot (i took
out the SIMM with JavaOS so that is doesn't get in the way, b/c OFW
will try to boot OS from the flash simm first.  that can be toggled by
holding a C-A-t chord at power up, but that's not an option for my
headless unit).  The SIMM has eight Am29LV081B-120EC on it.

So for the SunRay the questions are:

. are ms-IIep BM_SEL[1:0] pins hardwired to boot off of the flash
  memory (options 00 and 01) or this can be controlled via jumpers.

. if the board can be jumpered to boot off of PCI, i.e. from flashprom
  at ebus (options 10 and 11), is there an existing flashprom or a
  socket for it.  if there's an existing (soldered) flashprom, what is
  the code in it.

Relevant docs are:

802-7100-01   microSPARC-IIep User's Manual
802-7327-05   microSPARC-IIep Data Sheet
802-7837-01   PCIO manual
802-7836-02   PCIO PCI I/O Controller Data Sheet

SY, Uwe