Subject: Re: New life for Sun Ray 1s
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/15/2002 20:05:19
Valeriy E. Ushakov said:

>The code it runs is even "thinner" than X-terminal-ish.  Search google
>for something like "SunRay SLIM protocol".  Few first hits will be a
>usenix paper and a thesis by the guy who worked on the project.
>Something like VNC, but much less resource hungry.  All processing is
>on the server.  E.g. as I understand it, when you play an mp3 file,
>the decoding is done on the server and decoded audio stream is sent
>over network in the form suitable to be fed directly to audio device.
>[The guy who pushed me to write audiocs@ebus was quite worried about
>bunch of engineers listening music on their rays, i.e. with a bunch of
>simultaneous mp3 decoding processes on the server and so he wanted to
>use krups for jukeboxes].  Screen updates are done with a simple
>API-neutral protocol that operates at the level of raw pixels (e.g. no
>draw line or draw text requests).

From personal experience, I see the Sunray as being far less useful than
a Sun Xterm 1.

I was working a contract for a short time at the Sun campus in
Broomfield, Colorado.

They had switched almost everyone who was not a developer to Sunray. They had
multiple 5500/6500 systems set up in a cluster. If there is a failover, you
lose your last session when you log in. There were a lot of failovers.

I talked to one woman who had repeated failures where her Sunray would not
work for 2 or 3 days at a time. No one knew why.

And don't even get me started about Sun clustering...
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com