Subject: Re: panic: me_alloc: all pmegs gone
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/15/2002 18:49:06
we're trying to create too many mappings in the kernel address space.
one problem here is that the sun4c pmap treats all kernel pmap entries
as wired, so UBC mappings tie up a bunch of pmegs as unstealable even
though it would be perfectly fine to steal them.  that's probably the
biggest user of non-wired kernel mappings.

the UBC mappings can only consume 1/4 of the available pmegs on a sun4c
(though I remembered it as being 1/8, better double-check my math),
so there must be lot of other kernel mappings as well if you're running out.
you should check to see if we can cut back in other places too.

-Chuck