Subject: Re: New life for Sun Ray 1s
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/15/2002 13:35:57
>>> [...Sun Ray 1...]
>> I have reverse engineered SunRay flash image and I think it's not
>> possible to boot NetBSD on it without soldering work.  [...]
> If its FLASH, then its reprogrammable in a flash, hence the name!

Yes, but if it's soldered to the board, it's only as reflashable as the
surrounding electronics makes it.  That's why the remarks about
replacing it with a socket, so you can pop the chip out and reflash it
without depending on the sunray to do it.  (Based on the "everything
must be signed" silliness someone else sketched, this sounds as though
it may be the only feasible approach.)

Hmm.  If you boot Sun's code, does it bring up a real OS, or just
something X-terminal-ish?  I'm thinking that if it's a real OS and
supports any way of getting user code into the kernel (LKMs and such),
its security could probably broken that way.

Is its RAM socketed?  In principle, you could pop that out and plug in
dual-ported RAM, and do surgery on stuff on the fly that way.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign