Subject: Re: illegal instruction using -mcpu=supersparc for kernel
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/12/2002 15:03:14
On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 09:08:08AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > I have been unable to build a kernel with -mcpu=supersparc with NetBSD
> > 1.5.2.
>
> I had no problems doing the same with the (much newer) toolchain used in
> 1.6_Beta1. For the old toolchain all hopes are lost, IMHO. The new one
> gives you the additional benefit of being able to cross build from a fast
> machine (I use i386 for that).

OK... I still find an "illegal instruction" error to be an odd result
for toolchain problems.  This to me seems more like the compiler spitting
out bad opcodes or the kernel not being compatible with the optimizations.

It seems that building kernels with GNU C is a touchy enterprise at times.
It sure is in the Linux world, though it's historically been a bit more
tied to the GNU compilers.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com