Subject: Re: illegal instruction using -mcpu=supersparc for kernel
To: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/10/2002 02:33:30
On Saturday, June 8, 2002, at 09:21 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> So before going further, I'd like to know of any success stories, and
> ideas on why I cannot generate a good kernel, tuned for the supersparc
> chips.
>
> The builds have been attempted on a pair of SS5's, one 110MHz microSPARC
> and the other a 170MHz turboSPARC.

Hmmmm. This isn't what you're asking, but since neither of those is a
supersparc I wonder if you might get better performance with plain -mv8
(which, as you know, theoretically won't reorder the instructions to
suit a supersparc). I understand that you need it to work, first, and
only then can you compare. :)

> Both are running egcs-1.1.2 and the toolset from a stock NetBSD 1.5.2
> system.

I, too, was never able to get a kernel built with -mcpu-supersparc using
egcs-1.1.2. I've had better luck with -current (which should apply to
NetBSD 1.6_BETA1) with its gcc 2.95.3. I've compiled a lot of binaries
in -current within the last few months with -mcpu=supersparc, although I
think I haven't built a kernel that way yet. I'll give that a try
shortly.

- Geoff