Subject: Re: Netboot problems with Sparc 10
To: Volker Borchert <bt@csfps.de>
From: Ian Burrell <iburrell@stanfordalumni.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/05/2002 13:02:10
Volker Borchert wrote:

> Unless your OpenBOOT is different from mine in this area, it sounds like
> you haven't set the boot-device to either net-tpe or net-aui, whichever
> fits your hardware.
>
> IIRC I had 2.9 at first which was fine with stock 1.5.1. Then I upgraded
> to 2.22.1 to get support for my fancy new processor (SM81 ;-), and 2.22.1
> couldn't decide which network media to use. Then I setenv boot-device
> net-tpe and stumbled upon the bug described in pr#15495.

I am pretty sure I set boot-device to net-tpe and just did "boot"
yesterday when it wasn't working. Today, when I tried, it booted fine.
The install process is running now.

> As an afterthought - I am almost sure the SS-10 has a fuse for the 12 V
> supply on the AUI output. A blown fuse might keep the logic from properly
> sensing whether a transceiver is connected to the AUI port. Check the
> hardware FAQ for location and specs of this fuse.

The SS10 doesn't have fuses. It has PTC's and the service manual says
they don't need to be changed. Neither of the lights on the TP port
comes on.

  - Ian

--
iburrell@stanfordalumni.org