Subject: Re: Miniroot boot problems
To: Gerald Richter <darklord@neonshadow.net>
From: Jed Davis <jldavis+netbsdlist@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/04/2002 17:49:25
Gerald Richter <darklord@neonshadow.net> writes:

> Heh, same reason I joined this list originally... and the same answer
> I got. I ended up running OpenBSD on all my netboots because NetBSDs
> netboot is broke when hosted off of anything but a netbsd server (and
> even then it didn't seem completely stable...) of course all my
> netboots are now retired, so it's kinda a moot point for me.

I got netbooting to work (for sparc64) a while ago off of Mac OS X,
but ran into some problems at first with certain kernel versions; IIRC
I wound up booting a kernel from an older snapshot, then built one
from the latest (at the time) -CURRENT.  I was using an NFS root where
I'd just unrolled an entire snapshot of tgz sets on the server, rather
than a miniroot image or something.

> Yes. Linux doesn't use a disklabel, it settles for the partition table
> method, and emulates such on sun iirc. It's been forever since I
> spelunked through the linux code.

I had Debian on said sparc64 before I installed NetBSD, and IIRC it
used the Sun disklabel format; in any case NetBSD had no trouble
recognizing it (and still doesn't; I dd'ed the entire disk onto a file
on said NFS server and occasionally vnconfig it to get some old file
or other).

--Jed

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -- ## "But life wasn't yes-no, on-off.  Life was shades of gray,
sub f{(($n,$d,@_)=@_)?(substr(## and rainbows not in the order of the spectrum."