Subject: Fwd: Re: Perl5 on JavaStation
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: KiDDiE.Ox <oxo@rucus.ru.ac.za>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/02/2002 05:15:56
On Sat 2002-06-01 (06:28), Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 @ 3:16am (+0200), KiDDiE.Ox wrote:
>
> K> I have a JavaStation 1 (OpenBoot 2.3.0) with 32 Mb RAM running NetBSD
> K> 1.5.2. I have made a 256Mb swap file for it. It is booting of a Celeron
> K> 300 Slackware 8 server with 128MB ram and plenty hard disk space

[snip]

> First off, if you're going to run 1.5.x, at least compile a new kernel,
> and probably add options:
>
> options DEBUG
> options DIAGNOSTIC
Okay, I have recompiled the kernel with DEBUG. I left out DIAGNOSTIC
because that crashes my machine on bootup for no reason that I can see
:(

There are two problems with compiling perl:
this is what I do
cd /usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5
make

Now here is where I hit a problem.

`sh  cflags libperl.so toke.o` -DPIC -fPIC toke.c
          CCCMD =  cc -DPERL_CORE -c -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/pkg/include -O2

When it says that, the machine hangs and reboots for no reason. I can
compile toke.c manually with
cc -DPERL_CORE -c -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/pkg/include -O -o toke.o
toke.c

and then return to /usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5
and run 'make' again and it just repeats and insists on compile toke.c
again at which point it crashes and dies

If I edit the makefiles to change $optimize to -O, then it bleats about
makefiles being changed and then compiles toke.c all over again. I am no
C coder so I can't figure out why toke.c is freezing up when it uses
-O2. I have also looked for a file that specifies what $optimize to use
but I can't find one :(

I am *really* annoyed with this. Can anyone help me?

Okay I have come to another landmark which I just don't understand. Here
is what happens

4:48 [root]@marie:/usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5$ make
===> Building for perl-5.6.1nb7
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5/work/perl-5.6.1 ./miniperl
configpm configpm.tmp
/usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5/work/perl-5.6.1/libperl.so: Undefined symbol ""
(reloc type = 12, symnum = 4)
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

and I have *no* idea of what to do :(

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE :)

--
ASCII stupid question, get a EBCDIC ANSI.
John Oxley