Subject: Re: Configuring two network cards in SPARCstation 4
To: Alex Buell <alex.buell@munted.org.uk>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/01/2002 06:21:30
On Fri, 31 May 2002 @ 9:33pm (+0100), Alex Buell wrote:

AB> Gah.. I've just spent the last few hours trying to set up a SPARCstation
AB> with an extra network card. Apaprently with local-mac-address? set to true
AB> both of them still uses the same MAC addresses.

...it shouldn't matter (unless your ISP is doing something ghetto) in a
typical home-lan situation where you're just going to IPNAT a /24 of
private space to a /32 of public space using ipf(8).  You don't even need
two NIC's to do a firewall.  That's a common misconception, it's just that
all the examples on the web involve two NICs.  Physical networks are
completely unrelated to logical addressing.

...let me know if you need example configs.

-lava