Subject: Re: pkgsrc and tcsh
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/27/2002 23:49:00
On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 06:19:56PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

> The problem isn't one program in /bin.  The problem is that once you
> let yourself install one program in one OS-managed directory, there's
> much less reason not to make it two, then three, and before you know it
> you can't tell what's what any more.  That's why I said "that way lies
> madness", not "that is madness".

Well, that's self-discipline.  I have tcsh in /bin, and nothing else.

But sure, it could develop into a habit if you let it.  I tend to think
people like that will do it anyway.

> I avoid sliding down that slippery slope by refusing to start.

It's not uncommon for me to have /usr/pkg not mounted, and I need the
shell, so it's in /bin.  I can't think of another way to handle that.

Sometimes it would be useful to have a configuration for packages to
include overrides for things like this.

I do have to keep track of a lot of exceptions to the package layout,
but that's what my log book is for.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com