Subject: Re: SS20 network performance, take 2
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Tomi Nylund <wizard@finland.invalid>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/21/2002 10:58:10
eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

[...]

> | FWIW, I can do the testing with both SS20 and Ultra-1, if needed.
>
> Let's see...   First of all, do you have any other traffic on that
> link?  Is the file you're using for testing being transmitted from
> the machine, to the machine, or is the machine a mere bridge?  You
> should also check to make sure the HMEs are running full duplex.
> There were some bugs in that area that were recently fixed in -current.

Yes, there's lots of other traffic: the machine acts as a firewall/
ipv6 gateway for a small student association network (SIK ry,
Association of Students of Electronic Engineering at University of
Oulu, Finland), having altogether thirteen machines behind it,
includíng:

-2 webservers (sik.oulu.fi, bileet.oulu.fi, bileet.ipv6.oulu.fi (uses
faithd to enable java servlets for ipv6, feedback welcome), and also
oh8ta.oulu.fi, radio amateur club's website.

-1 ftp server

-1 mailserver for sik.oulu.fi and sik.ipv6.oulu.fi

-1 DNS server, secondary DNS for ipv6.oulu.fi

-several workstations, SS10/20 (Solaris 8), Ultra-1

-etc.

They should all be reachable via ipv6, also.

There's about 150-200 states in a state table during seasons, now
at summertime, it's mostly empty. I maintain the firewall,
bileet.oulu.fi,
and DNS server mainly as a hobby, since I'm working in a university
project myself by now, ie. not participating in student life
so much any more.

The file used for testing is wget'd from sik1's ftp, and pulled through
the firewall to a machine on the other side.

> I would start by copying from /dev/zero across the network as a
> baseline and see how the machine performs.  You should either get
> zero idle time or end up limited by ethernet bandwidth.  If neither
> of those happen we'll have to take a much closer look at the driver.
> Also check the driver for errors or collisions.
>
> Eduardo

I assume you should pull this file FROM the firewall machine to some
other? Will do that today, I'll report back in the evening.

Regards,

Tomi

PS: Please reply to the mailing list, as my e-mail address is obfuscated
to repel spammers.