Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
To: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/05/2002 10:35:46
On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 10:33:49PM -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:

> > For what it's worth, I have a DEC vt510 terminal, and can plug and unplug
> > at will from both of my Sun SS5 machines.  I'm fairly certain the vt310
>
> Have you tried various "conditions" (powered, off, etc.)?  Or, do
> you tend to always connect/disconnect following the same "routine"?

under solaris, i noticed that if i unplugged my laptop from the serial console
of a variety of ultrasparc machines (from the lowly single cpu clone, to the
beastly UE6500) and was current logged in, they wouldn't break, but when i
pulled the cable sitting at a login: prompt, they would break to rom.  the
solution?  just stay logged in when disconnecting the serial console. ;)

i'll have to fart around with my older sparc hardware that i have at home.
unfortunately, most of it is production, so it's not a good idea to just
fool around with. ;)

-brian
--
Whoops, nevermind...  the compile just imploded, crashing the xterm it was
running in as well...  Thanks, Richard...              -- George Adkins --