Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/04/2002 22:38:39
> "der Mouse" <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

> >> NetBSD/sparc needs something akin to sun3's kd device.  wscons is
> >> *supposed* to be the Right Fix for this....
> > In light of that "inavailability", is there a fallback configuration
> > that is "always usable"?
>
> The clsoest I've found is to run a getty on console and another on
> ttyb.  If it boots headless, either serial port works; if it boots

OK.  And ttya will be the "console" -- i.e. if it fails to go multiuser,
I am still "guaranteed" access via ttya?  And, if it *does* go multiuser,
then I'll have logins on ttya and ttyb?

> headed, you still have a working serial getty on ttyb even though the
> console getty is now on the graphics head.

Again, single or multiuser mode I have a genuine console on the
monitor/keyboard.  And ttyb gets a login iff it goes multiuser
(but this is not a console login)

> Of course, having a getty on ttyb doesn't help if you want to do
> must-be-console stuff like stopping the clock. :-)

Yes, but I would have the monitor/keyboard available as
the "console" so i would just have to move over to that
keyboard...

When running with a head, if I plugged something into
ttya, presumably I see a blank screen?  (i.e. no getty,
no nuttin' ...)?