Subject: Re: Breaker... Breaker...
To: Michael J. Miller Jr. <mke@turbolift.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/04/2002 00:23:58
[ On Friday, May 3, 2002 at 19:05:59 (-0700), Michael J. Miller Jr. wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Breaker... Breaker...
>
> On Fri, 3 May 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > Not one that actually works....  :-)
>
> Actually this is fast becoming a standard feature on newer server class
> machines.  Generally it has to be enabled in the BIOS though.  They
> generally seem to work OK.

I've tried several models of Compaq with no lucck.

I've also tried the PHOENIX ServerBIOS as found on the Intel STL-2
motherboard.  It's totally unusable -- and a really bad hack too:  it
just re-paints the whole screen continusouly translating what it
believes the video character map to look like into a stream of ASCII
that it tries to spew out the serial port.  It's impossible to even boot
without at least a 38.4kbps local connection with zero latency and a PC
as a terminal emulator.  It's also seriously FUBAR w.r.t. the baseboard
management controller console interface for remote management (though
maybe not quite so FUBAR as the Compaq variety of the same).

There's absolutely no sane comparison possible between these horrid
hacks and anything usable, such as a Sun, or a DEC SRM console, etc.

--
								Greg A. Woods