Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/02/2002 12:46:00
> OK, this seems like a decent time to bring up a question: I have a
> block of SS2s with dead NVRAMs.  Searching on ebay, I found some Sun
> NVRAMs, but they were marked as being for SS5/SS10/SS20.  Is there
> actually any difference between an SS2 chip and an SS5 chip?

I can't answer that at the moment, but I can say that there seem to be
only two chips used, the M48T02/M48T12 and the M48T08/M48T18.  In my
experience, you can freely swap among machines that use the 02/12 and
among machines that use the 08/18, needing at most to rewrite the
contents (mkpl is your friend :-).  Since the former is a 24-pin chip
and the latter a 28-pin, they are physically incompatible, which means
that (if I'm right) you can use any chip that's physically compatible.

Once I get home tonight I'll be able to check; I have a 2 and a 5 that
I can open up and look at the pin count for.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign