Subject: Re: SparcStation ipx versus Sparc Classic
To: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/01/2002 17:19:17
Christian Smith said:

>Not sure if this problem affected the Classic, but the IPX and other old
>sun4c had poor NVRAM backup batteries, which should be about ready to give
>up the ghost anytime now, though I've not seen the problem first hand. The
>hardware FAQs will give details of how to remedy the problem.

Sun NVRAM will eventually die. It affects them all about the same. Consider
that the IPX is from the 1992 or 1993 period. That is 10 years ago. Long
periods of storage seem to shorten battery life. I've had SS10 and SS20
NVRAM die as well. Considering the chip is <$20 and takes 2 minutes to
replace, it's not a big deal.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com