Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/2002 01:37:54
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Geoff Adams wrote:

# On Sunday, April 21, 2002, at 07:22 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
#
# > 	I do not see how you can arrive at this, based on the
# > documentation.  The way Greg wrote it, it seems pretty clear:
# >
# > 		1.  If you're doing a checkout, it needs to be done in /usr
# > 		2.  If you're doing an update, it needs to be done in /usr/src
# >
# > 	How can you derive this from the documentation?
#
# I don't know that you do. The documentation is not intended to be a CVS
# primer, but rather quick instructions on how to use CVS to get the
# source. Sadly, the instructions seem to have a bug.
#
# Hmmm.. Wait. Upon checking the instructions on the "Tracking
# NetBSD-current" web page <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/>
# I discover that they are exactly correct. The instructions say:
#
#      To update the sources

Key word here is "update".

#      cd /usr/src
#      cvs update -d -P

This does not work to initially retrieve current sources.

In addition, CVS bombs horribly if /usr/src/ is its own filesystem --
for some reason, it looks to get caught in a loop or something
similar...

# Now, I'm a big fan of CVS (I use it for a number of projects), but I
# will admit that it takes some time to understand well. Fortunately, you
# only have to understand CVS if that's the method you've chosen to get
# the latest NetBSD source.

...AND you want it to magically appear in the right directory.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD:  You choose the hardware, we'll bring the OS.