Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/21/2002 19:46:51

On Sunday, April 21, 2002, at 06:25 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	Let me quote another section from that same document:
>
> | To just update the 1.5 release source tree if you already got one:
> |
> | % setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
> | % cd /usr
> | % cvs login
> | password: anoncvs
> | % cvs -d $CVSROOT update -rnetbsd-1-5 -PAd src
> |

> | Or by ssh:
> |
> | % setenv CVS_RSH ssh
> | % setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
> | % cd /usr
> | % cvs -d $CVSROOT update -rnetbsd-1-5 -PAd src

To me, that looks like a copy-paste bug in the documentation. The
"update" instructions should read:

     % cd /usr/src
     % cvs update -rnetbsd-1-5 -PAd

and

     % setenv CVS_RSH ssh
     % cd /usr/src
     % cvs update -rnetbsd-1-5 -PAd

respectively.

(Note that there's no need to set the CVSROOT, since cvs will get that
from the CVS directories, and there's particularly no need to set it
both in the environment and then again on the command line. That's just
redundant. Also note that, in the pserver case, there's no need to 'cvs
login'; you've done that already.)

> 	Now, if you want to tell me that the documentation is wrong,
> that's fine.  However, this is an exceptionally exasperating position
> to find myself in after all this time, and I would really, really
> appreciate it if someone would update the documentation so that it was
> correct.

Yes, this part of the documentation is incorrect. Like I said, I think
someone just copied the "checkout" section and changed the word checkout
to update, forgetting that it doesn't work quite like that. We do need
to fix the documentation; I'll file a PR.

While I understand your frustration, and I'm sorry that you've had these
difficulties, I do have to ask: Since you presumably posted on this list
for help, and two of us offered you this same advice, have you actually
tried simply 'cd'ing into the src directory?

Anyway, I hope this was your problem, and that it's now solved. I'm very
sorry it took four days to determine that the root of this problem was a
CVS usage issue.

- - Geoff