Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/21/2002 19:57:55

On Sunday, April 21, 2002, at 07:07 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	Okay, with my latest attempt, I am completely avoiding all
> attempts to use CVS -- I'm just extracting the latest tarballs and
> trying build.sh.  This is working much better.  However, I have run
> into a new problem.  I have done searches on the web and in USENET
> newsgroups (thanks to Google), and I have not found any discussion of
> this problem or the solution:
>
> /u/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.5.2-sparc/bin/nbmtree -def
> mtree/NetBSD.dist -p /usr/tmp/destdir/ -U
> nbmtree: unknown user `named'
> nbmtree: failed at line 766 of the specification
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> nbmake: stopped in /u/src/etc
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> nbmake: stopped in /u/src
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> nbmake: stopped in /u/src
>

> 	If this is a change that was instituted between 1.5.2-REL and
> 1.5-CURRENT, I'd appreciate any pointers that people can provide
> regarding the solution.  Meanwhile, I'm going to vgrep what BIND and
> NetBSD documentation that I can find.

Yes, this is a known issue. Take a look at the file "UPDATING" in the
src directory. There are several things in that file that you'll need to
do in order to update your system. In the entry dated "20010226," you'll
find instructions for adding the named user, which is now required.

I would read through that file if you haven't already. You can also take
the trial-and-error approach (many of us do) -- try to build; if it
fails, look the failure up in "UPDATING" and fix it; repeat.

Looking back through the thread, I don't see anyone having given you the
standard suggestion of starting by downloading the latest -current
snapshot and installing that, and then updating from there. That's
probably because you specifically asked for instructions on how to
upgrade, using source, from 1.5.2 to -current, and not how to get a
functional -current system. Still, you may want to consider the snapshot
approach. It will take care of problems of the sort you're experiencing
now that you have a good source tree.

Good luck,
- - Geoff