Subject: diskless ss20 problems - 1.5.2
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tresco <rardoe@rarcom.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/21/2002 08:50:08
So here is the problem.

If, at the ok> prompt, i do "boot net", the tftp stuff goes on fine.  Then,
when it tries to go further via bootparam, i get this...

Rebooting with command: net
Boot device: /iommu/sbus/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000  File and args:
13200
>> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.9
>> (toor@proxima, Tue Aug 21 23:18:13 CST 2001)
Booting netbsd
Lost Carrier  (transceiver cable problem?)
Cable problem or twisted pair hub link-test disabled.
Use the PROM command "help ethernet" for more information.

Now... intermittantly, this will succeed and I will be able to boot
regularly after a few "Lost Carrier" messages.

But....

If if do "boot net-tpe", i get as far as the kernel booting but it never
finishes...

can't determine root device
root device (default ledma0):

If I put le0 for this and fill in the appropriate values for the next few
things...

can't determine root device
root device (default ledma0): le0
dump device: le0
file system (default generic): nfs
root on le0 dumps on le0h
nfs_boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
nfs_boot: client_addr=192.168.0.151 (RARP from 192.168.0.1)
nfs_boot: server_addr=192.168.0.1
nfs_boot: hostname=sparc
nfs_boot: timeout...
nfs_boot: timeout...
nfs_boot: timeout...
root on 192.168.0.1:/export/sparc/root
Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
Setting tty flags.
Setting sysctl variables:
Starting network.
Hostname: sparc
add net 127.0.0.0: gateway 127.0.0.1
add net fe80::: gateway ::1
add net fec0::: gateway ::1
add net ::ffff:0.0.0.0: gateway ::1
add net ::224.0.0.0: gateway ::1
add net ::127.0.0.0: gateway ::1
add net ::0.0.0.0: gateway ::1
add net ::255.0.0.0: gateway ::1
add net 2002:e000::: gateway ::1
add net 2002:7f00::: gateway ::1
add net 2002:0000::: gateway ::1
add net 2002:ff00::: gateway ::1
add net ::0.0.0.0: gateway ::1
IPv6 mode: host
Configuring network interfaces: le0ifconfig: client: bad value
.
add net default: gateway 192.168.0.1
Adding interface aliases:
Starting dhclient.
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client V3.0rc10
nfs send error 65 for 192.168.0.1:/export/sparc/root

Any ideas??  I searched through the archives and didn't find anything....

I would assume it has something to do with reconfiguring le0 with DHCP aftet
it already has an address via rarpd....but why would this not happen when
boot net works...which is seldom??  Also... I am able to boot net-tpe -s
without incident, except for the:

can't determine root device
root device (default ledma0): le0
dump device: le0
file system (default generic): nfs

...which doesn't happen when I boot net successfully...

Thanks in advance,

Chris