Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/17/2002 15:46:14
At 11:16 AM +0200 2002/04/17, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>  This may be the problem. I only tried cross-build from elf systems.

	Blargh.

>  Do you have access to a i386 machine somewhere ? If so you could cross-build
>  from here, it should work.

	I am in the process of taking over my wife's old Compaq Armada
4131T laptop (130 Mhz Pentium, w/48MB RAM and 2GB HD), but this
process is not yet complete -- it still has Windows 98 on it, and
there are some important files that still need to be
rescued/backed-up before I can snarf the machine.  There is also her
new laptop, but there's no way in hell that I'll be able to get my
hands on that, leastwise not for installing something like *BSD.

>  Another way is to first install a sparc ELF snapshot (from:
>  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/snapshot/20020125-1.5ZA/ for
>  example) and then rebuild from sources.

	Ahh.  Okay.  I would basically re-install the system, using the
standard boot floppy, etc....  Right?

	However, I presume that I would need to somehow select the
snapshot to be installed, as opposed to allowing the installation
process to automatically select the 1.5.2-REL tarballs.  I'll check
the NetBSD Guide myself, but just in case I don't find anything -- Is
there any documentation anywhere that would show how to do this?

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>