Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/17/2002 04:06:34
At 3:40 AM +0200 2002/04/17, Brad Knowles wrote:

>  	Unfortunately, I don't grok Makefile syntax, so I couldn't
>  really tell you what this section of the file does, or what
>  is wrong with it.  Removing the line "USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN=yes"
>  from /etc/mk.conf, I get back to the original problem:

	Hmm.  I may have had the wrong syntax.  Checking the man page for
mk.conf, it references an example mk.conf file in
/usr/pkgsrc/mk/mk.conf.example, which unfortunately does not exist on
this machine.  However, /usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk does, so following
this example, I have now set the following in /etc/mk.conf:

		USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN?=		YES

	Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to improve the situation.

	However, this process does point out a couple of things:

		1.  The man page for /etc/mk.conf needs to be updated
		    to reflect the fact that /usr/pkgsrc/mk/mk.conf.example
		    no longer exists, and it should also display the
		    proper syntax of setting options, so that people don't
		    have to refer to an external file just to see a single
		    example of how to set something.

		2.  The build.sh script needs to be updated so that it
		    either encourages people to read the man page for
		    mk.conf and doesn't attempt to show any syntax for
		    setting options in this file, or it needs to be
		    corrected to show the appropriate syntax format.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>