Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/17/2002 03:40:21
At 6:14 PM +0200 2002/04/16, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>>  	I updated them last week.  Maybe I need to update again?
>
>  It's something to try, maybe you did it at a time where the build system
>  was brocken.

	Okay, I just finished updating the sources (I started around Tue,
16 Apr 2002 20:47:30 +0200, so this process has taken about eight
hours).  Unfortunately, I still have the same problem:

% ./build.sh -D /u/tmp/destdir
===> Bootstrapping nbmake
checking for gcc... cc
checking for executable suffix...

	[ ... deletia ... ]

cc  -O -o nbmake *.o
nbmake: "/u/src/tools/Makefile" line 41: Malformed conditional
(${MKTOOLS:Uyes} == "no" || ${USETOOLS} != "yes")
nbmake: "/u/src/tools/Makefile" line 57: if-less endif
nbmake: "/u/src/tools/Makefile" line 57: Need an operator
nbmake: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

nbmake: stopped in /u/src/tools

	From looking at this, it would appear that there is a problem in
src/tools/Makefile, but I couldn't be certain as to what it is.
Doing a "cat -n src/tools/Makefile" and looking for the offending
lines, I find:

     41  .if ${MKTOOLS:Uyes} == "no" || ${USETOOLS} != "yes"
     42  realall install: _warn
     43  .if ${MKTOOLS:Uyes} == "no"
     44  _warn:
     45          @echo '*** WARNING: "MKTOOLS" is set to "no"; this
will prevent building and'
     46          @echo '*** updating your host toolchain.  This should
be used only as a'
     47          @echo '*** temporary workaround for toolchain
problems, as it will result'
     48          @echo '*** in version skew and build errors over time!'
     49  .else
     50  _warn:
     51  .endif
     52
     53  .for dir in ${SUBDIR:N.WAIT}
     54  all-${dir} depend-${dir} dependall-${dir} install-${dir}:
     55          @true
     56  .endfor
     57  .endif

	Unfortunately, I don't grok Makefile syntax, so I couldn't really
tell you what this section of the file does, or what is wrong with
it.  Removing the line "USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN=yes" from /etc/mk.conf, I
get back to the original problem:

% ./build.sh -D /u/tmp/destdir
===> Bootstrapping nbmake
checking for gcc... cc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o

	[ ... deletia ... ]

E_VSNPRINTF=1  -DMAKE_BOOTSTRAP
-I/u/src/tools/make/../../usr.bin/make -c
/u/src/tools/make/../../usr.bin/make/lst.lib/lstSucc.c
cc  -O -o nbmake *.o
ERROR: build.sh (new toolchain) is not yet enabled for

MACHINE: sparc
MACHINE_ARCH: sparc

All builds for this platform should be done via a traditional make

If you wish to test using the new toolchain set

USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN=yes

in either the environment or mk.conf and rerun

./build.sh -D /u/tmp/destdir

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>