Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/12/2002 11:56:37
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

> >  	b) run     ./build.sh -d -D $DESTDIR -R $RELEASEDIR
> >
> >  	$DESTDIR will contain a complete destination tree except for
> >  	the kernel and devices. $RELEASEDIR will contains complete
> >  	installation sets including instalation media images.
> >  	(except X).
>
> 	If you don't specify these two directories, I presume that
> reasonable defaults filled in?

	It will default to DESTDIR of '/', which is really not what
	you want with -d (-d makes the full distrib including /etc).
	Run ./build.sh with -h for details.
	As Manuel suggested you can skip the '-R $RELEASEDIR' and
	build a kernel by hand instead.
	So.. no :)

> >  	If you have another faster machine of a different type, (*)
> >  	just use ./build.sh -d -D $DESTDIR -R $RELEASEDIR -m sparc
>
> 	This sort of thing seems to be a typical NetBSD assumption --
> that a site will have multiple NetBSD machines, of various different
> types, and that all builds will be done on the fastest machine.
> However, I'm not that complex, and I'm getting kind of lost in all
> the extra details -- I've got only the one server at the moment, and
> it is running NetBSD.  This is the machine I want to upgrade.  It's
> slow, but it's all I've got.  So, I don't need (or want) all that
> extra information, much of which I am finding a little confusing at
> the moment.

	The 'build from any box' is a very recent change - post 1.5.
	Up until that point the only real way to upgrade to current
	was to get the latest release or snapshot you could, build
	a kernel, reboot into it and run 'make build' at the top of
	the source tree, hoping something did not break because it
	needed a newer make or yacc, or gcc, or.... etc.

	The new way is a _big_ improvement. It means the build mechanism
	is the same on any box, even the target host :)

	'BUILDING' contains all the in depth information, Manuel and I
	have suggested some quick options :)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --