Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/12/2002 12:46:17
At 9:44 AM +0200 2002/04/12, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>  From 3), just do:
>  3) cd /usr/src ; ./build.sh -d -D /usr/tmp/destdir

	My /usr isn't particularly large -- only 512MB total, of which
about 300MB is in use.  Do I need to specify the destdir, and if so
does it need to be on the same filesystem as /usr/src?  What if
/usr/src isn't on the same filesystem as the rest of /usr?

	Any idea how much disk space this process requires in the destdir?

>  4) build a new kernel (cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf; config
>GENERIC; cd ../compile/GENERIC; make)

	Should I make the GENERIC kernel first and get it up and running,
then later go in and do up a kernel that has support for hme & qfe
interfaces, or can I safely do all this at once?

	Also, any idea how much disk space this process takes?

>  5) install the new kernel and reboot
>  6) mv /etc /etc.old; cd /usr/tmp/destdir; pax -rw -p e . /

	Ahh, now this is a step unlike anything I've seen before on any
other OS.  I'll have to take a closer look at what the system is
doing, but although this step is a little different, it does seem
fairly intuitive and I think I understand the overall idea on
inspection.  Still, I want to be safe.

>  7) merge bits from /etc.old in /etc (this should be not much more than
>  users added to master.passwd, groups, myname, mygate, resolv.conf,
>ifconfig.*,
>  rc.conf)

	Is there a mergemaster-like process to help automate this?

>  8) reboot

	Great!  Thanks!

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>