Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/12/2002 00:17:40
At 10:24 PM +0200 2002/04/11, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>  in src/ you should have a file called BUIDLING. This should have all the
>  infos.

	I looked at that file.  Maybe I need to read it again, but I just
did not really understand precisely what steps I should be following.
There's stuff in there on cross-compiling and a whole bunch of other
things, but I didn't see anything that looked like an obvious
procedure that I should follow.

	I was hoping for something like:

		1.  Install NetBSD 1.5.2
		2.  Follow chapter 18.1 of "The NetBSD operating system:
		    a short guide", as available from
		    <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/#netbsd-guide>
		    to download the full source of the operating system.
		    Note that, as of 1.5.2, the full sources require
		    ~700MB of free disk space in /usr/src.
		3.  Type "cd /usr/src; make"
		4.  Before installing the new binaries, make and install
		    a new kernel image using the instructions available in
		    chapter XXX of the NetBSD Guide.
		5.  Type "cd /usr/src; make install"
		6.  Reboot the system.

	Myself, I've gotten to the end of step 2, and I'm not really sure
if this is the script I should be following, or where the
instructions are for building a new kernel image using the new tools,
but before installing the binaries.

>  Be carefull to not install new binaries before you have a new kernel running.

	That is a part of the procedure which I was not previously aware
of, but which does make sense.  Thanks!

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>