Subject: Re: adding a PCI card on ultra 10
To: None <andrew@grillet98.freeserve.co.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/30/2002 14:46:24
On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Andrew Grillet wrote:

> On Saturday 30 March 2002 10:48, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > > *) Low level formatting
> > > *) Low Level sector checking
> >
> > These 2 are not needed for normal operations :)
>
> Maybe not, if its a dual boot machine, but there is nothing to
> lose, and a bit to gain by doing a new low-level format when
> you install the HD in a new machine. Sector checking is
> highly desirable at the time a new OS is installed too.

	I've found 'scsictl sdX format' quite useful on a few NetBSD
	boxes. For low level sector checking I tend to dd to/from the raw
	device. Not as convenient as the adaptec scsi bios, but if your
	box is hosted elsewhere few people pay the extra to get a bios
	or realweasel so you can access the adaptec bios via the serial
	console.

	The adaptec bios is nice and very convenient. I miss it on
	remote boxes, and I'd miss it on a non i386 platform, but not
	enough to actually impact any real use of a box :)
--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --