Subject: Re: adding a PCI card on ultra 10
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/30/2002 11:48:12
On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 08:22:37PM -0500, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> There's more than just BIOS support in there.  IIRC, 99% of the time the
> card wouldn't work properly on an i386 with the default settings.  From
> the menu system you have a great many features:
>
> *) Low level formatting
> *) Low Level sector checking

These 2 are not needed for normal operations :)

> *) The ability to adjust transfer rates, parity, disconnect, etc. on a per
> ID basis

The driver is supposed to negotiate this with the targets. you can hardwire
it there but I think the default are the max, and let the driver negotiate.

> *) The ability to enable/disable on-board termination

Is't the default "auto" (or something like that) ?

> *) A great number of other features...
>
> ...I must investigate this further on my Ultra5 (assuming solaris 8
> drivers exist).
>
> But my point is: all the functionality provided via that menu system would
> have to be provide through other means -- perhaps a userland utility?

No, you don't need to have these functionalities for proper operation.
Other SCSI adapters don't have these features and are usable anyway.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>