Subject: Re: improving ssh performance on sun4m systems
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/16/2002 10:53:14
On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:25:08AM +1100, matthew green wrote:

>    >I think cpuflags should really issue the latter, because what it
>    >does say, -mcpu=supersparc, is only the v8 instruction set.
>
>    And "-mcpu=supersparc" is deprecated.
>
> what makes you say that?  certainly, given my current reading of

info gcc says:

     These options are deprecated and will be deleted in GNU CC 2.9.
     They have been replaced with `-mcpu=xxx'.

...so it looks to me like -mcpu=xxx is the way to go.

> while i haven't read exactly what the different between say
> PROCESSOR_V8 and PROCESSOR_SUPERSPARC, they would appear to
> be different on the surface.

I thought a supersparc *was* a v8 with better decoder, etc, and in some
cases has or has more L2 cache.

There should be a chart on this somewhere...

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com