Subject: Re: improving ssh performance on sun4m systems
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/15/2002 14:33:26
On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 08:43:56PM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> You don't understand.  See page 236 of Sparc V8 manual.  Without -mv8
> all code is generated to call (e.g.) ".umul" function from a shared
> library (libc) to perform multiplication (for v8 an "umul" instruction
> would be generated).  So with the overlay *all* dynamically linked
> programs will call v8'ified ".umul" that just calls real "umul"
> instruction, instead of doing a bunch of "mulscc".

No, I think you are the one who doesn't understand.

You are just repeating above what has already been said.

The library idea is a good one, I don't think I've disputed that.
Of course, it's more overhead than building binaries with -mv8,
but I'm sure it speeds things up.

What I'm talking about is calls to things like this *outside* of a
library.  How about static code?  How about functions you write yourself
that are not in a library anywhere?

Also, -mv8 is supposed to also do instruction ordering to speed things up.
You can see this pretty simply by looking at the assembly output.

I haven't tested yet to get hard numbers, but I do know that a few
programs I have tested have faster startup times now.

If I get time, I might do more.

Anyway, I think this has been thoroughly beaten to death now.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com